Chocolate Cupcakes with Coffee Frosting made a great day of work even better!
This recipe was found on Pinterest and comes from roxanashomebaking.com. While the coffee frosting topping doesn’t have the same “visual appeal” as hers did (we didn’t have a squeezy thing like she used, I guarantee you that it tasted much better since we substituted the instant coffee her recipe calls for — for the best coffee in the world — organic, Camano Island Coffee.
Scroll Past the Picture for the Recipe!
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cup (210 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (8 grams) baking powder
- 1/4 cup (20 grams) dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) almond oil
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) milk
- Coffee Frosting
- 3 tbsp (42 grams) soft butter
- 6 tbsp (168 grams) soft cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp espresso ground Camano Island Coffee ( original recipe calls for instant coffee…. if you’ve not had our coffee before, look below to pick up a pound for free, you’ll be happy you did!)
- 3 cups (360 grams) powder sugar
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 12 cupcake pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. Add the sugar also.
- Make a well in the middle and stir in the eggs, corn syrup, milk and oil.
- Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting them.
- Coffee frosting
- In a small bowl mix the vanilla extract with the coffee powder.
- Add it to a mixing bowl with the butter and the cream cheese. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Scrap the sides of the bowl and slowly add the sugar, 1/2 cup at a time until all the sugar is incorporated.
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag and frost the cupcakes.
Needless to say… these were REALLY yummy cupcakes. The mixture of dark chocolate cupcakes and coffee frosting was perfect and it went well with fresh coffee, french pressed.
By Dan Ericson