What’s Trending This Year?
When it comes to our favorite morning, and often afternoon, beverage, we often find ourselves wondering what the next trend will be. Each season, coffee aficionados wait with bated breath to see what the new year brings.
Here are some of the major trends you’ll hear more about this year:
1. Nitro Coffee
This is when cold brew coffee is infused with nitrogen gas so it can be released through a pressurized valve with very small holes. A high pressure then forces the cold brew past a disc, creating a creamy, almost stout-like effect. Nitro coffee is smooth and clean. It even tastes silkier when you drink it. This exciting style of coffee is served straight from the tap and there’s no ice, which would ruin the Guinness-like effect. The whole process of the cascading of the coffee is simply beautiful, and the taste is incredible.
2. Waste Removal
When it comes to coffee production, this is a major buzz trend. When the cherry skin is removed during the harvesting process, coffee farmers use it to turn it into a coffee flour that can be used for baking. The green cherries that are removed at harvesting via mechanical means are roasted so consumers can now use the entire harvest.
3. Specialty Coffee
The quality of the coffee along with the increasing importance of specialty coffee are two coffee trends that are helping to shape the future. Whether you are an experienced coffee drinker or just getting into Organic Fairly Traded Coffee, there is a greater expectation for high-quality coffee beverages. What’s more, specialty coffee and even espresso-based beverages are gaining traction.
4. The Water
One of this year’s coffee trends has to do with water. This may sound a little odd but there has been much talk recently about what people are using to brew their coffee. In the near future, we will see the industry as a whole looking more closely at water and using the ingredient in different ways. We’re really not far off from coffee shops offering a coffee brewed with as many as three different water sources, or even water that measured several different levels of Total Dissolved Solids. After all, coffee is just 2% of the beverage with water making up the remainder 98%.
5. The Technology of Production
This year’s coffee trends are set to focus on the technology of producing coffee beverages. The chance to produce coffee drinks in an even more specific way as well as the calibration to the type of drink and even the customer’s specifications are going to see an increase in popularity.
6. Combination Beverages
A combination of tea and coffee beverages – that’s right, brewed tea and coffee together – is going to start growing in popularity. It’s already popular in Asia and other parts of the world.
Coffee with chicory is set to see a comeback, particularly in cold brew varieties. Originally from New Orleans, this mixture was actually a necessity during the Civil War and was implemented to make coffee supplies last that much longer.
The role baristas play is going to keep on expanding. Baristas have become more central to the entire beverage-making process, as opposed to simply being a server. They’re now considered more as mixologists.
9. Retention Programs
Programs at the origin where coffee is actually grown are going to be implemented to inspire next generation coffee farmers to stay close to the coffee sector and to keep driving quality.
Want Gourmet Coffee Online?
Take a look Camano Island Coffee’s selection of Organic Fairly Traded Coffee today.