Have coffee questions?
We have coffee answers!
Find all of the answers to your favorite coffee questions below. If you still can’t find what you’re looking for, please contact us and we’ll be happy to help!
Coffee Questions – General:
- What FREE Coffee Do You Carry?
- Can I Brew Your Coffee in My Keurig (K-Cup) Machine?
- Which Coffee is Least Acidic?
- Which Coffee Has the Most Caffeine?
- Which Coffee Has the Least Caffeine?
- What Coffees Do You Carry?
- What Roasts do You Carry and What is the Difference?
- What are the Roaster’s Reserve Coffees and Why are They Special?
- Which Coffee is Best for Drip?
- Which Coffee is Best for French Press?
- What is in Varietal Supremo?
- How is it less Acidic?
- What is single-origin coffee?
- What is Swiss Water decaf?
- What kind of grind do I need?
- What does Papua New Guinea coffee taste like?
- What does Sumatra coffee taste like?
- What does Honduras coffee taste like?
- What does Guatemala coffee taste like?
- What does Brazil coffee taste like?
- What does Peru coffee taste like?
- What does Ethiopia coffee taste like?
- Which Coffee Beans for Espresso are Best ? (aka What is Varietal Supremo?)
- Do you Carry Hawaiian or Kona Coffee?
- Do you carry Jamaican blue mountain?
- Do You Carry Kopi Lowak “Civet Cat Poop” Coffee?
Coffee Questions – Promotions:
Coffee Questions – Coffee Lover’s Box:
- How Does Billing Work?
- Coffee Lover’s Box: Can I Change My Coffees Between Shipments?
- What do you need my email for?
- What do you need my phone number for?
- Am I going to be billed every month?
- How can I cancel my subscription?
- How do I know it’s the freshest money can buy?
Coffee Questions – Recyclable Pods:
- Can the Recyclable Pods be used in all machines?
- Is the coffee still fresh?
- How long can we store it and what is the best way?
- What do I do if I want to switch my clubs from regular to POD or vise versa?
- Will this work with the Keurig 2.0?
- Do I still need a Freedom clip?
- Aren’t single serve pods bad for the environment?
- Are the recyclable pods BPA Free?
- Can we still do a regular club with the keurig grind and Solofill cup?
- What kinds of coffees can I get in the Recyclable Pods.
- What are the club options?
- Why am I getting grounds in my cup and how do I fix this?
- What size cup do the Recyclable PODs brew?
- Are the Recyclable PODs compatible with both home & commercial machines?
- Is there a Promo for the Recyclable Pods Coffee Lovers Club like the other clubs?
- Can we add Recyclable Pods to our regular Coffee Lovers Club shipments?
Coffee Questions – General:
For our FREE pound promotion, we offer our Papua New Guinea medium roast or our Brazil Dark Roast. Once you are on your club shipments you can choose from any of our coffees, which are listed here in our online shop.
Yes. Just use a reusable K-Cup like the Solofill, which we carry. You not only reduce waste (K-Cups are not recyclable), but you also save yourself a pretty penny on the Keurig cost per cup. The average cost of a K-Cup is 70 cents a cup. The average Keurig cost per cup with a Solofill is around 35 cents a cup. Give our Customer Care department a call to add a Solofill to your next club shipment!
All of our coffee is 100% shade grown, which makes all of our coffee very, very low in acidity right from the start. For a good “evening” cup of coffee that has an extremely low amount of acidity, try our Sumatra coffee (Medium and Dark) or our Peru coffee (Light and Dark).
Caffeine is reduced as coffee is roasted longer, so a dark roast has less caffeine than a light roast. Just keep in mind this principle: More caffeine does NOT mean more energy. Fortunately, purchasing coffee from the Top 1% allows you to enjoy much more coffee without harming your body with too much caffeine.
All of the coffee is 100% Arabica and grown at very high elevations, which often means that those who normally drink decaf or half-caff can drink our regular coffees. Of course we always have Decaf and Half-caff available for those who are extra sensitive. We only use the Swiss Water Process method. We believe Swiss Water Process is the safe decaf coffee.
For our full lineup of coffees, click here!
We carry Light Roasted, Medium Roasted, and Dark Roasted Coffees. The primary difference is a balance between tasting the natural coffee flavor (light roast) and tasting the roast (dark roast). Everyone has a preference and we make sure to have a coffee for each preference. We do not over roast any of our coffee.
Our Limited “Roaster’s Reserves” are not available at all times and when available, can sell out quickly. Typically, due to the quality of the coffee and the rarity of that specific bean, we are only able to bring in a certain amount and cannot guarantee we will always have it in stock. Roaster’s Reserve is our most expensive coffee.
All of the single origins are equal. Just depends on your tastes. They each have their own flavor profile. Many people prefer our Papua New Guinea coffee (Light or Medium) or even our Peru Coffee (Light or Dark) in their auto-drip machines. We recommend joining our Coffee Lover’s Club and going on “tour” to try all of our different beans and roasts ~ delivered right to your door.
All of the single origins are equal. Just depends on your tastes. They each have their own flavor profile. Our Master Roaster prefers to French Press our Guatemala bean (both Light Roast and Medium Roast) as well as our Limited Reserve Ethiopian coffee (subject to availability).
This is a Camano Island Coffee Roaster’s secret. We can’t detail which regions are contained in Varietal Supremo, because many have tried to replicate this exceptional coffee bean espresso blend. It’s our only blend and it’s a secret blend! But you can rest assured that we only use 100% Arabica beans. No robusta, ever.
Because 100% of our coffees are shade-grown. Why shade Grown coffee? When coffee grows as nature intended, in the shade, it grows much slower and develops much lower concentrations of caffeine and acidity. In fact, shade grown coffee contains half the caffeine content of conventionally grown coffee.
Single Origin coffee is coffee from only one country or region. This gives you the true taste of place. It is one guarantee of no filler robusta beans.
Swiss Water is a process to remove caffeine from coffee. Simply, this process boils the green beans before they’re roasted. This technique effectively removes 99.9% of the caffeine from the beans with nothing but water. Water processed is the only organic way to decaffeinate coffee. Water process is the safe decaf coffee.
Well, what kind of coffee maker do you have? Let us know and we’ll grind your coffee for you. Of course ground coffee beans lose their flavor almost immediately. So, for best tasting coffee make sure to grind right before brewing. Basically, decide do you want to give up some coffee flavor for the convenience of pre ground coffee beans.
Distinct chocolaty tones with a crisp clean finish.
Rich and complex fruit tones. Nutty, sweet and full bodied.
Smooth molasses tones with a hint of spice.
Tangy citrus undertone. A distinct, delicious coffee.
Caramel tones, rounded nutty undertones with a hint of spice.
Sweet fruity tones with a light, easy-drinking body.
Nuances of fruit: clean, sweet, densely rich blueberry, wine, flowers, spice. Bright and spirited yet deeply resonant; balanced, complete coffee.
While we are a “single origin” coffee roaster, in order to have a truly great espresso, a blend of the best coffee in the world is required. Our Varietal Supremo, is this perfect blend specifically constructed for your Espresso machine. We keep the blend of beans secret because many have tried to replicate this exceptional espresso blend.
Hawaiian coffee can be called “Kona” or “Hawaiian” with 10% or more Hawaiian beans. Many times a “Kona” coffee contains very little actual Kona beans. Couple that with rarity in both organic and shade-grown beans and it has made it impossible for us to source it – for now.
Sort of. The coffee farm we buy from in Papua New Guinea only grows coffee trees transplanted from the Blue Mountain region and the PNG soil gives it a much better flavor! Jamaican Blue Mountain is over-priced thanks to great marketing. The fact of the matter is that we only carry the best coffee in the world and our Papua New Guinea coffee is no exception.
Kopi Lowak is another marketing gimmick. Coffee that comes from a cat’s poop does not make for an exceptional cup of coffee. And, more importantly, widespread animal abuse is involved in the production of Kopi Lowak. The producers of
Kopi Lowak often force the civet cats to live in tiny cages and force feed them coffee beans. We believe in only roasting ethical coffee. If it does harm then it certainly isn’t ethical coffee.
Coffee Questions – Promotions:
This is to pay for the $8.95 shipping charge, and to set up your Coffee Lover’s Club account.
Coffee Questions – Coffee Lover’s Box:
The Coffee Lover’s Box is NOT a monthly club. You set your schedule anywhere from 2 to 10 weeks. Because of that, you are only billed when your order ships based on the cycle that YOU choose.
Yes. You can choose whichever coffee you would like. Most coffee lovers take our coffee lover’s tour which takes you through the vast array of flavors single-origin coffee has to offer without them having to make a change. Of course if you find a favorite, you can always lock it in to ensure you always get it! Our coffee tour is available in three varieties: Light, Medium, or Dark.
We are an internet-based business. Email is essential to maintaining contact with you regarding your account, coffee changes, ship dates, etc. We don’t sell your information. Your information is safe with us.
We have to have a way to contact you in the event there is something wrong with your order. We don’t sell your information. Your information is safe with us.
You are only billed when your order ships. The Coffee Lover’s Club is not a monthly club — you receive your shipment on the frequency that YOU set. So, from 2 to 10 weeks — it’s up to you! Also, you will be notified one week before your next shipment so you can make changes, if you need too — there’s no surprises.
You can cancel for any reason whenever you want by either emailing us or calling our Customer Care team at (866) 387-5282 — Monday through Friday, 7am to 4pm Pacific time.
- To cancel by email simply email us using the email address you used when you signed up and request to cancel. Once received we will cancel your account and email you to confirm that your account has been canceled. You can also rejoin whenever you need.
- To cancel by phone call us at (866) 387-5282. Please have the email address associated with your account available. We will look up your account by your email.
Every bag that leaves the roaster has a roasted on date stamped on the top sealed edge, so you can know exactly when it was roasted. You can tell it’s the top 1% coffee in the world once you take that first sip.
Coffee Questions – Coffee Lover’s Box:
The recyclable Pods work in all major single serve machines. They are not compatible, however, with Nespresso.
Yes. The coffee is ground before being placed in the pods, but it is roasted fresh before being filled in the pods. To put the freshness in perspective, when we were first approached a few years ago by some of the big single serve companies to use our coffee they wanted us to mark the pods as fresh until two years out from packaging. We obviously turned them down. We believe these pods will keep the coffee fresh up to three months from packaging.
Our recyclable pods are good to store for three months after packaging. Each pod is sealed so you can just leave them in your cupboard.
There is an option online in your account or you can call us at (866) 387-5282 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
No. With our new Pods released in 2017 we no longer need a freedom clip.
For years we turned down the big single serve companies who wanted to use our coffee due to the terrible environmental damage single serve pods create. Billions of pods each year are being sent to landfills.
Having said that, we only decided to start serving pods once the technology supported a recyclable option. The lid, cup and filter of the pod is recyclable #5 plastic. All you have to do is after brewing pop open the pod and empty the grounds. Then rinse out the pod and place in your recycling bin. Every part of our pods is recyclable.
Yes. They are absolutely, 100% BPA free.
Yes, our customers who currently order the bags of coffee still have the options of Keurig grind/Solofill cup.
At this time, we are only offering one blend of our coffees specially formulated to provide the best flavor in your single serve machines. This Pod Blend is a medium roast and comes from a combination of our coffees you have already come to know and love. It’s organic, shade grown, and fairly traded.
Yes. There will be a small, medium and large club options with a frequency of your choosing between 2-10 weeks.
Coffee grounds may have gathered in the exit needle.
To clean the needle, follow these steps:
• Remove and clean the exit needle in accordance with the K-Cup™ Holder cleaning instructions.
• Perform a small-cup cleansing brew and look for any grounds coming out.
• Repeat cleansing brews to clear out any residual grounds.
• If you are using a reusable filter such as the Solofill, please make sure that you are using a course-drip. You should only fill the mesh basket to the bottom of the brown band, which is approximately 2.5 tbs. If you have not done so recently, it is also recommended that you de-scale your brewer.”)
Our pods brew optimally up to 10oz of coffee per recyclable pod.
The Recyclable Pods are compatible with all major single serve brewing machines. The recyclable pods are not compatible, however, with the Nespresso line of brewers.
Yes. $20 off first shipment.
At this time you can receive Recyclable Pods or Beans but not both in the same shipment. We are working towards having this flexibility, but since the pods are so new we only have the option of one or the other.