While enjoying a rich aroma, you can also visually enjoy the coffee moving up and down through the glass bowl. If the extraction times are the same, there is little difference in flavor, making this apparatus a favorite amongst professionals.
6 Steps To The Perfect Syphon Coffee
- Step 1: To start, you’ll want to assemble your filter. Drop the cloth filter into the top chamber and use the chain to properly hook it on at the bottom.
- Step 2: Fill the “bulb” or lower chamber up with water to the designated fill line (approx. 22oz) and assemble the syphon (don’t forget to put the lid on the top chamber!) Slide your Syphon over the heat source. Using the small wick burner, and fill it with denatured alcohol (a clean burning fuel), which can be purchased from your local hardware store. You’ll need the wick to be tall enough that the flame touches the bottom of the Syphon.
- Step 3: As it heats, the water will start to move up the chain to the second chamber. When all the water has reached the top, pop off the lid and check the temperature. Adjust the heat source accordingly, so your water is approximately 190 degrees.
- Step 4: For this 5 Cup Machine, place 4 TBSP of coffee (medium #6 grind) into the chamber and use a bamboo paddle or chopstick to give it a quick, gentle stir. Replace the lid and let the coffee steep for just over a minute.
- Step 5: Give the coffee another quick stir and then remove the syphon from the heat source. Soon, the coffee will begin to be pulled back down into the bulb. You will know this process is complete when the grounds have formed a small mound in the upper chamber.
- Step 6: You can now remove the top components and use the bottom carafe to serve your coffee. Enjoy!
For more in-depth instructions, check out our Syphon Brew Guide!